Bookmark this site!

2007-10-31

Fink "Can't fix GCC after Repair Permissions"

I'm now working with Leopard aka OS X v10.5; this is a Leopard problem

Chasing around to see what could be wrong, I find two contradictory bits of information:

In Apple's version of GCC, both cc and gcc are actually symbolic links to a compiler named like gcc-version; which compiler is linked to may be changed using the command gcc_select.

% locate gcc_select
/usr/sbin/gcc_select
/usr/share/man/man8/gcc_select.8

% gcc_select -l
This version of gcc_select can be used only on MacOS X 10.4.

It seems this may be connected to the CHUD problem of the previous post.

Here's what worked for me:

  1. Remove gcc_select (it says it doesn't work with 10.5).
  2. Remove /Developer (XCode Tools didn't install properly anyway).
  3. Reinstall XCode — make sure you install the Unix Developer Support option.
  4. Run Fink: Selfupdate, then Update-all

Everything worked smoothly.

I still have some problems with Keychain and Kerberos, but I still like Leopard. Cover Flow is helping me clean up my desktop.

No comments: