Bookmark this site!

2008-01-15

Mac OS X 10.5: Web Sharing - "Forbidden 403"

In what follows, substitute your short username for myshortname

Create the file
/etc/apache2/users/myshortname.conf
containing the following text:

<Directory "/Users/myshortname/Sites/">
Options Indexes MultiViews
AllowOverride None
Order allow,deny
Allow from all
</Directory>
Set the group and owner as follows:
sudo chown root:wheel /etc/apache2/users/myshortname.conf

Restart apache by switching Web Sharing off then on in System Preferences.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just so everyone knows, after hours of work and googling, I have discovered that Filevault protected user accounts CANNOT have sharing enabled.

Unknown said...

Fantastic! Worked like a charm, I appreciate your help.

Tim Dietrich said...

Thanks for posting this! I think you just saved me hours of time that I would have spent trying to figure out why I couldn't access files in my personal Sites folder.

Cyperplace said...

nice really helped me thanks...

Tourn said...

It does work with Filevault enabled, though you need to run apache as yourself and not the _www user. see http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os-x-operating-system/124952-file-vault-vs-apache-sites-folder.html